Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, even though it really isn't your 100th. Hope you had a special day. We have been thinking of you and I thought I might share some of the fonder moments of growing up with one of the characters from the Grumpy Old Men movie. Ahh...family reunions, Mom bustling around seeing to every task like a hummingbird flits from flower to flower. The smell of home cooking and the chatter of visiting relatives filled the air. Tom steps out onto the patio with a small audience as he prepares to grill Mom's oversized chicken breast, after all he was a self proclaimed master at this technique. Several minutes and conversations later, Tom pulls the chicken from the grill and lo and behold...another masterpiece. That is if you consider a carbon encrusted 5 pound chicken shrunken down to the size of a kid’s baseball glove a masterpiece. Oh well, at least you made some fond memories right? Or what about all those road trips taken over the years? At least you have gotten better at accepting the fact that you don’t always know the way you are going, but Mom and I sure did enjoy all the extra scenery. I truly do appreciate all the little life lessons I have picked up from you, I completely agree with the no kids eating in the car rule…you would be surprised at the mess four kids can really make. It has been a blessing getting to know you over the years and I truly am grateful for the times you have been there for me, even if I didn’t know or want you there. Thanks again for all that you do for us and Kari, the kids and I all hope you had a memorable day. Enjoy it will you can...they say your mind is the first thing to go after your hair turns gray.

No comments: