Monday, March 24, 2008

I hope they call me on a mission



So, Carter is so funny. He is very smart and can remember almost anything word for word that you tell him, even when you think he is not listening. But, he sure knows how to push your buttons. A while back we were talking about missions. He started saying he didn't want to go on a mission. So, I did what any good mother would do. I started singing! I started to sing, " I hope they call me on a Mission". So, Carter repeated, " I hope they don't call me on a mission". Nice! What every Mormon mom wants to hear. So, I have been hounding him..you could say. I wondered what I could to help him realize how important this great calling and experience could be. I soon realized that he thought he had to leave tomorrow and he wasn't ready to leave his mom! AWE! So, I started having our missionaries over more..about once a week. One of the missionaries has a little bro Carters age..so they bonded instantly! It has really helped Carter out some. Today he actually was singing along with the music from a CD, the words to the song...and he even wanted to hear it again! Yeah! We are at least making progress. Even if he doesn't go on a mission, I will be able to look back and remember, "Hey I did everything I knew I could do to help him with this decision." I am truely thankful for all that these wonderful Young Men do. Without them, I wouldn't have my husband I am sure of it! All that they do and give up for 2 years is so admirable! I don't know many teens these days willing to give up half of what they do!

2 comments:

Sarah Lee said...

If he's anything like his mom... watch out!

Hunter Family said...

Funny. We went through that a few years ago with Quentin. He didn't want to go to college because he thought it was like a mission and he wouldn't be able to see us or talk to us for four years! After we explained it to him he was OK. Then we let him know that at some point in his life he will actually NOT want us around! (he didn't believe us!)